Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Alma 36 Remember Jesus


When Alma recorded his conversion experience as it related to his son, Helaman, he did something quite extraordinary: he wrote it in poetic chiastic form.  It may be the most exquisite internal evidence of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon in existence.  Sorry folks, Joseph Smith did not make this stuff up!  Chiasm aside, the message of redemption is central and powerful.  As Alma explains to Helaman the moment in his life when he was “harrowed up by the memory of his sins, being racked with eternal torment,” in the anguish of a damned soul he “remembered also to have heard my father prophesy…of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.  And as my mind caught a hold of this thought , I cried within my heart:  O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me…when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more….And oh what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!”

I am struck with the enabling and redemptive power of the thought centered on Jesus!  Once remembered, the power of a Christ-centered thought transforms an individual from despair to joy immediately!  Dear God fill my mind with the sweet memory of Jesus.  Please bless me to always remember him!  Please let my children forever know of his mercy and grace.

No comments: