Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Alma 34 Contend No More Against the Holy Ghost


Amulek, Alma’s faithful companion stands to be a second witness.  Here are a few of his one-liners:

“Plant the words in your hearts.” “The word is in Christ unto salvation.” “Redemption cometh through the Son of God.” “I do know that Christ shall come among the children of men, to take upon him the transgressions of his people, and that he shall atone for the sins of the world.” Christ shall make, “an infinite and eternal sacrifice…according to the great plan of the Eternal God.”

Amulek makes it clear that we have no restrictions on where and when we should pray.  He also pleads with us not to procrastinate the day of our repentance because this life is the time to “prepare to meet God.”

Amulek says we have a tendency to “contend against the Holy Ghost.”  This is interesting and insightful to me.  When the Holy Ghost whispers to me, do I push Him away?  Do I say in my heart, “not now,” or worse, “go away.” I hope not.  I want to feel the inspiration, hear it, and do what He says.  Why do I resist doing good?  Why do I fail to raise my hand when volunteers are asked for to do welfare projects?  Why don’t I do the things I know I should to improve the feelings between me and Jean?

Resolve:  Pray always.  Act when prompted by the Holy Ghost.  Don’t procrastinate repentance.

No comments: