Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chapter 8


The rebels have been humbled; they have been “frankly” forgiven by Nephi.  They return to their parents in the wilderness.  The joys of marriage ceremonies, performed by the patriarch, Lehi, have been completed.  It is time for further light and knowledge from the Lord. Lehi is going to dream his famous dream.  I focus here on the tree Lehi saw.  Living plants have xylem and phloem within their trunks and branches.  They transport water and essential sugars and nutrients from the ground to the plant for photosynthesis to take place.  Xylem and phloem are comparable to the blood vessels and veins found in the human body.  The tree Lehi saw in his dream was a living tree.  Water, sugars, other nutrients, produced the desired food for the tree and the tree was able to produce yummy fruit.  I presume the tree was beautiful too.  Its leaves, its limbs, its trunk, it roots, all exquisite in form and function.  The tree was perfect in every respect.  Now, look beyond the symbol of the tree to who it represents.  The tree is Jesus!  He lives!  He is beautiful and perfect in every respect.  He has the right way to make us happy.  He is the right way.  He is good medicine.  He is delicious fruit.  The rod that Lehi saw is the word of God, but it too is a symbol of Christ: solid, true, reliable, and leading us to our destination with God the Father and His Holy Son. The nutrients found in the xylem and the phloem of the tree are prayer and scripture study.  His words, His spirit, His love, His Character, flow to us forever and ever. 

Lehi was a dreamer.  I want to dream like Lehi dreamed.  I want this spiritual gift.  Right now I must not need the gift because the Lord has not granted it to me.  I want revelatory dreams.  I want to see my posterity down the road.  I want patriarchal dreams for my family like Lehi had.  When this becomes a need perhaps the Lord will give me the gift.        
     


No comments: