Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chapter 17


Eight years; they traveled for eight years in the wilderness before they reached Bountiful!  What took them so long?  In all of that traveling, the only thing Nephi says is his brothers stopped murmuring.  I supposed that was very significant to him.  They are rewarded for their efforts with a new home on the beach.  They are “exceedingly rejoiced when we came to the seashore,” Nephi exclaims.  

Were Nephi and his father, Lehi, metallurgists?  He knew how to make a bellows “to blow the fire.”  He knew how to make tools.  But building a ship was new.  He needed to be instructed by the Lord to accomplish this monumental task, and he needed his brothers’ help.

Their eight years without murmuring ended with a vengeance.  They sought to throw Nephi into the sea.  But the Lord gave Nephi power to shock and shake them.

Am I currently in my eight years in the desert period?  Or, am I in my make my tools and build a ship period, relying on the Lord to instruct me in a new and untested field of learning and doing?  Does Satan redouble his efforts when he sees me moving upward and onward?   

No comments: