Wednesday, January 16, 2013

3 Nephi 11 Christ Came to the Ancient Native Americans


In my personal history I recorded an event from my full time mission to the Navajos.  I recounted how I had arrived at the mission home in Salt Lake City with great concern about my abilities.  It didn’t help that the first day I was there, the mission home president told us that on the morrow he was going to have several missionaries come forward and pass off a concept from one of the discussions.  I was petrified and had trouble sleeping.  I went to the bathroom at four in the morning, sat on the tile floor with my back up against the wall and tried desperately to land on a short concept that perhaps I could commit to memory.  After many minutes I came to the concept in the Relationship to Christ lesson that had an amazing effect upon me then, and throughout my mission.  One of the paragraphs began with a title something like:  “After Christ was resurrected, he appeared to the people at the temple in America.”  I learned for myself that Christ had visited the ancient Native Americans and testified to them of his atonement and resurrection. 

This experience changed the course of my mission and my life. For one thing, I knew what I was going to say to the Navajo people when I visited them in their homes:  Did you know that Christ came to your people after his resurrection?  And I did!  My mission was wonderful because I never had to worry about what I was going to say first to the people I contacted.  I was able to replace fear with faith.  The way this experience has affected me since my mission is that I have a strong testimony of Christ and his atonement because as I shared my testimony with the Navajos, it went down deep into my heart.  That testimony has grown stronger over the years as I have shared my testimony with my family and my students.

No comments: