Monday, June 25, 2012

Mosiah 20 Worth Fighting For

The wicked priests of Noah remained in hiding knowing if they returned to the land of Nephi they would be executed by the people of Limhi. Their wives and children had been abandoned. Slime balls that they were, they find the place where the Lamanite daughters went to sing and dance. They watched them and the abducted twenty four of them. (This made me wonder how many priests there were. I pictured about a dozen or so. If that is the case, the priests were planning on having multiple partners. ) When the Lamanites discovered that their daughters had been taken, they assumed Limhi’s men were the guilty ones. They came directly to destroy Limhi’s people and recover their daughters. However, as they advanced against the Nephites, they were observed from a watchtower and the Nephites were ready for them when they arrived, despite being out numbered. The account of the battle says that the Nephites fought like “lions for their prey” and “like dragons,” “…for they fought for their lives, and for their wives, and for their children.”


This left me thinking about how important that it is for me as the head of my family to fight for my wife and for my children and grandchildren against any outside threat. I think the biggest threat is the wickedness portrayed in movies and internet media. Next, I worry about my children spending too much time chatting and texting. I want my posterity to be readers of good books, lovers of the outdoors, and good people interested in the needs of others. I don’t want them to be focused so much on themselves and the things of this world. I want them to be holy. I want them to seek after things that are virtuous, lovely, and worthwhile. I want the men to be motivated in there pursuits by the desire to provide and protect their wives and children, and not so much on themselves. I want them to put the needs and wants of their wives above their own.

No comments: