Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Words of Mormon

The Words of Mormon
What makes an ordinary man into a “holy man?” Mormon tells us that King Benjamin was a “holy man” and that there were many “holy men” among his people. Together they were able to successfully repel their enemies. Mormon says that King Benjamin and the prophets of his day, “spoke the word of God with authority….” He goes on to say that “…by laboring with all the might of his whole soul,” and with the help of the “prophets,” King Benjamin was able to “establish peace in the land.” What is keeping me from being a “holy man?” Am I using the authority of the priesthood to benefit my family and neighbors? I think lack of humility, selfishness, vulgarity, sloth, aspiring, and less than admirable behavior toward my wife and children are key issues. But I think I can start the development of holy character traits by seeking for and following the direction of the Holy Spirit. I want to be a holy man. I want my children and grand children to consider me to be a holy man.

No comments: