Monday, March 19, 2012

Jacob 2 Jacob confronts pride, riches, and immorality

Jacob 2
I think the most important thing in this life for me is to gain and maintain the trust of my wife and children. More than anything else in this life, I want to live a clean and virtuous life so that my wife and children will be proud of me. I don’t want to ever embarrass them because I have lied or cheated or behaved in a shameful way. In this chapter Jacob has to confront the married men who have polluted their hearts. They want for themselves riches and more sexual partners. Both of these desires are blasted by the prophet Jacob who discerns this is what is happening. In a painful sermon both for the giver and the hearer, Jacob tries to wake up these unrighteous men whom he says are worse than the Lamanites who at least love their wives and haven’t broken the hearts of their children.

No comments: