Friday, February 22, 2008

shake your cheerios

I used an object lesson you may like: Take a bag of cheerios out of the cardboard box so that all you have is a see-through container. Put a ping-pong ball at the bottom of the bag and cover it completely with about 6 to 8 inches of cheerios. Then shake the bag gently. After about 10 shakes the ping-pong ball will magically pop out on top! There are many applications but try this one:

From the May Ensign, 1997, Henry B. Eyring:

"Sometimes we will receive counsel that we cannot understand or that seems not to apply to us, even after careful prayer and thought. Don't discard the counsel, but hold it close. If someone you trusted handed you what appeared to be nothing more than sand with the promise that it contained gold, you might wisely hold it in your hand awhile, shaking it gently. Every time I have done that with counsel from a prophet, after a time the gold flakes have begun to appear and I have been grateful."

Today in seminary, one of my students said she never wants kids. So I told her to shake her cheerios and not chuck them out too soon. In other words, don't throw away the idea of motherhood before some significant time has passed and opportunities have come your way.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

that elder eyring...very wise idea. thanks for sharing dad. :) good application with another thing we all hold dear to our hearts: the cheerios box. :)

Naomi said...

I was wasting some time and found you via Michelle's blog. It turned out NOT to be a waste of time! I hope you don't mind if I drink in the wisdom as well. The *well* seems a little dry over in my end of the country. Love the cheerios analogy. Good for the heart, too!