Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Alma 36


“Now as mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.  And now, behold, when I thought on this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.  And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain.”
With these words, Alma captures the very center of the gospel message.  Indeed, this masterful chiasmus (the whole chapter conforms to this Hebrew poetic style) is the very center of the Book of Mormon message.  Jesus is the very center of everything that is important in our lives.  He is first and last in each day we walk here.  We owe everything to him. 

No comments: