Friday, December 6, 2013

Chapter 8


Verse 20 has an interesting typo.  Can you find it?  This chapter helped me reflect upon the role that the prophets have played in my life.  President McKay was larger than life.  He was the prophet of my childhood.  He was stately, white haired, handsome.  He emphasized families.
President Joseph Fielding Smith was a doctrinal giant, but I don’t remember too much about him from my childhood.
President Harold B. Lee was prophet when I was called on my mission.  I was privileged to be with him in the Salt Lake Temple when he talked to us and answered any questions we had.
President Spencer W. Kimball impacted me on my mission after the passing of President Lee.  When he gave his landmark talk “Go Ye Into All the World” I was watching and listening in a chapel in Page, Arizona.  I loved his talks. Because of his throat cancer and surgeries, he had a very memorable speaking voice.  He told us to “lengthen our stride” and just “do it.”  He received the revelation allowing the priesthood to be given to all worthy males.
President Ezra Taft Benson emphasized the Book of Mormon going to all the world.  And he taught us that pride (enmity) is the universal sin that can be overcome only by humbling ourselves.
President Howard W. Hunter was president for a short time.  We saw him in Tucson when he came for a regional conference.  He emphasized the temple.
President Gordon B. Hinckley was the president of my married adulthood.  He taught us to be friends to all people regardless of their faith.  He was interviewed after 9-11 happened and comforted the world.  He brought the church out of obscurity.
President Thomas S. Monson is the prophet that is teaching us through his favorite method, stories, that we must be directed by the Holy Ghost in all things.
These great Apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ have had an enormous effect for good upon me and the direction of my life.

No comments: