Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mosiah 5 Our 8 Births

Mosiah 5 Other than 3 Nephi 11, this chapter had the greatest impact on my life and my spirit. It is in verse 7 that King Benjamin tells me that I can become a son of Christ, thereby receiving his name, membership in his family, and claim to everything he is and everything he possesses. I do this through faith in him, repentance and the covenant of baptism. This birth is called “rebirth.” Prior to rebirth, I was born of Heavenly Parents. That was birth number one. There I was also given a name which I can’t remember for now. But I know that I am a child of God, meaning Heavenly Father and Mother. Then, I came to Earth and was born for the second time into a mortal body. I had a mortal mother and father: David Ray Stone and Beverlee Bee Brown. They gave me a new name: Walter James and I took my father’s name as well: Stone. As you can see, the process of birth is a big change in our existence where we receive names and covenants. Mortal birth was a cleansing ordinance. We had agency in our pre-mortal state and needed repentance. We made covenants with our Father in Heaven to obey his commandments and follow his plan and when we were born here in mortality, we were cleansed. Little children are free from sin because of Christ’s atonement. With rebirth, we have in place our first three births. Each birth is a necessary step in the Father’s Plan of Happiness. Birth number four is the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. The new names associated with the two priesthoods are Aaron, Moses, and Abraham. These are received by convenant. The fifth birth is the temple. Boys and girls begin this birth by performing vicarious baptisms and confirmation ordinances for the dead. Later, prior to missions and/or marriage they receive their temple ordinances where covenants are once again received and names given. Women, take upon themselves the name of their husbands and with him receive all of the blessing pertaining to the priesthood. Birth number six is parenthood and grandparent hood. There is great joy in being given the new name of “mama” or “dada.” In my case I was dubbed “Bumpa” and Jean was named “Gigi.” These are sacred names and sacred experiences. Death is the seventh birth. Much mystery surrounds this life change. We don’t know if there are additional names and covenants given in the Spirit World. But we know how important it is to retain all of the names we have received so far. The final birth is the resurrection. This is the greatest of all the gifts of God. There I will remember and use my many names including my pre-mortal name, long forgotten. The final name is a title: godhood, which will eventually, after a millennia or two become God. Thank you dear King Benjamin for the doctrine of becoming the children of Christ.

No comments: