Thursday, January 19, 2012

2 Nephi 12 through 15

2 Nephi 12
With his spiritual eyes focused on the latter-days, Isaiah sees temples being built in the mountains of Utah. “Come ye and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob….”

2 Nephi 13
Wimpey men, unwilling to use their priesthood v.6 and worldly women vs. 16-24, this is the scene Isaiah sees pertaining dualistically to the church members in his day and in the latter-days. It appears to me to be a description of what was in the past but also a warning to us in the latter-days to step up to our responsibilities and to avoid worldliness and pride along with the negative consequences.

2 Nephi 14
Those who abide the Lord’s second coming will be clean through the Atonement.

2 Nephi 15
If I planted a garden carefully and lovingly and nurtured it, water it, and diligently weeded it, then, when it was time to pick the vegetables I notice that the undersides of the leaves are covered with stink bugs and slugs who are destroying the plants; when I pick the vegetables and take my first bites, I find them to be bitter, pithy, and yucky tasting; how great would be my disappointment! What more could I have done to care for my garden? This is the point the Lord is making regarding the House of Israel at the time of Isaiah. Yet, looking forward to our day, there is hope! An “ensign” is posted. The Book of Mormon comes forth. Living prophets again walk the earth. The gospel will go to every kindred, tongue, and nation. Yet, we must still be careful to avoid those who “call evil good, and good evil.”

No comments: