Friday, September 5, 2008

A teaching first

So, today I kicked one of my students out of seminary. It's a lousy feeling. But it's done. Now I know a little of what a mission president must go through when he sends an elder home. I tell you it is the lowest moment I can remember feeling as a teacher. The offense: refusal to do what the teacher asked X twenty, with attitude. I called his dad and we will be meeting on Monday. Why is it when I try to help someone, that they turn it around so it's my problem instead of theirs? Isn't that why I got out of counseling as a profession? Maybe it is my problem. Age. Lack of funniness. Failure to connect. Lack of patience and charity. I can here him saying to his parents, "he's so mean; everyone hates him; everyone wants to transfer to the other teacher; why is he picking on me, I'm not the only one who talks out of turn; he's so boring." Aging athletes have to face the fact they are not able to keep up any longer. I think it's time to think about a change. Brett Farve went to New York. That was dumb. Just stop when you're not able to throw the long pass anymore and do something else. I sure wish I could talk to Dad right now. He'd probably say "maintain contact" this will pass.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

hmm...maybe it could be that the kid just needed to get kicked out of class. nothing to do with you. that's probably what your mom would tell you. :)

I DO wish that teaching allowed for more GREAT, POSITIVE feedback from students who LOVE what you do to come back to you. often, those LARGE GROUPS of bro. stone fan clubs don't make enough noise. but I know the truth. I've been in the audience. I know you are fabulous. and I know that other people think so too.

bryony said...

We have to come out of the woodwork now and admit we've been browsing your blog from its beginning. And we agree whole-heartedly with Michelle. We are two of the Bro. Stone fans, and we heard nothing but positive about you. Seemed like everyone loved you -- and rightly so. You're an excellent teacher, and there are lessons we remember from your classes, and we can always picture your smile. Thanks for doing such a good job.

Chris said...

i would have to say that if you kicked a kid out of class, he definitely had it coming. i can't think of a kinder, more patient person than you. i couldn't agree more about brett favre as well. i hope all is well.